Former army corporal says she was raped while serving overseas

A retired female Irish army corporal says she was raped by a more senior member of the Defence Forces while serving overseas.

Roslyn O’Callaghan says the attack was carried out by a senior non-commissioned officer while she was serving as a private in the late 1990s.

She was speaking to Upfront with Katie Hannon in the wake of the publication last week of the damning report by the Independent Review Group into equality and dignity issues in the Defence Forces.

It found that “neither men nor women in the Defence Forces are working in a safe environment” and that it “barely tolerates” women.

In her first media interview, Ms O’Callaghan said the incident happened after she attended an off-base drinks party.

She says she became violently ill after drinking “too much,” and recalls being put into the recovery position in a colleague’s bed as she couldn’t gain access to her own room.

It was around this point Ms O’Callaghan says she was attacked.

“I remember waking up. I remember this man kissing me. I can remember my shorts being taken off me and my underwear. I remember this man having sex.”

“I describe it as if there was an angel looking over me trying to wake me up. I knew there was something happening, but I couldn’t stop it. I wasn’t able to fight,” Ms O’Callaghan said.

The attack was reported to two senior officers by Ms O’Callaghan the following morning.

With no emergency rape kit on the base, an ambulance was arranged by a Defence Forces’ medical officer to transfer her to a civilian hospital for assessment.

When she returned, Ms O’Callaghan’s says her attacker attempted to contact her.

“He wanted to come up and apologise and to see was I ok.”

Ms O’Callaghan, who had celebrated her 21st birthday in the weeks before the attack, then made a statement to the military police.

Several weeks after giving her statement, she was informed that her attacker would not be charged with rape on the basis that the forensic exam carried out in the civilian hospital had failed to produce any evidence of physical injury.

“I couldn’t believe this. I didn’t know who to trust. I was always of the opinion that the army will look after me. They’ll believe me. How wrong I was.”

Ms O’Callaghan believes the investigation into her assault was flawed.

The alleged attacker was ultimately disciplined for several more minor offences, including sexual conduct by an officer with a lower ranking member of the force.

“He denied the fact that he raped me. He keeps saying it was consensual.”

He was fined £175 and a severe reprimand was added to his military record. Years later, he retired with a full pension.

After returning to Ireland, Ms O’Callaghan reported the incident to An Garda Síochána. She says she was told they could not pursue the allegations as the incident had happened outside their jurisdiction.

“When I came home, it was very hard to adapt and to integrate into the unit again. I became very isolated. I had no confidence. I was paranoid.”

Following a suicide attempt in 2001, Ms O’Callaghan was admitted to Cork University Hospital (CUH) and referred to a military psychiatrist for assessment.

She was diagnosed with severe post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) but says she was not informed of the diagnosis by the Defence Forces.

She was later redeployed overseas but had to be repatriated before her tour was due end.

15 years after the initial diagnosis, Ms O’Callaghan was assessed by a civilian doctor, who also concluded she was suffering with PTSD.

This led to her to request a copy of her medical records file from the Defence Forces through Freedom of Information (FOI) request.

She was medically discharged in 2017.

“I knew for years that there was something wrong with me because I couldn’t interact socially. I was just going to work for the sake of going. I suffered for 15 years in silence.”


Roslyn’s full interview with Katie Hannon will be available as a podcast here on Tuesday afternoon, or wherever you get your podcasts. An edited version of her interview features on Upfront with Katie Hannon on RTÉ One television at 10.35pm.



Former army corporal says she was raped while serving overseas
Source: Viral Trends Report

Post a Comment

0 Comments